Please click here to return to the Home Page.
Congratulations to all youth and adult Arrowmen from the Crow Chapter - Order of the Arrow for a fantastic 2007 year!
To review... The Crow Chapter is part of the Wiatava Lodge Order of the Arrow which is made up of 10 chapters, each representing a District in the Orange County Council. The Crow Chapter represents all 60+ (Cub Scout, Boy Scout and Venturing) units in the Los Amigos District .
The annual Wiatava Lodge Banquet was held on Saturday January 5th at the Wyndham Hotel in Fullerton. The Crow Chapter was awarded 2 of the top 3 annual awards for the year including the top award - Chapter of the Year for the 2nd year in a row and the 7th time in the Lodge 35 year history. The Crow Chapter earned Chapter of the Year by receiving the highest score in the Lodge Honor Chapter category of the annual Chapter Achievement Program (CAP). Many thanks to every Crow arrowman and especially Chief Tanner B. (of Troop 93) for his oral presentation in front of the Lodge board on December 8th defending our CAP report.
The Crow Chapter was also awarded the Camping Promotion (CP) Award for the 2nd year in a row (an award Crow had never previously won). The CP award is presented to the chapter that achieves the highest standing on the Chapter CP award form. Thanks to our Vice Chief Camping Promotions (VCCP) Daniel R. (of Troop 1201) and his Adviser Mr. Woodard for all their hard work this year. Crow CP had 100% visitation completion by the beginning of March and our VCCP Daniel R. won First place for CP at the Fall Pow Wow. Crow also provided the 2007 Where to go Camping Guide to the Lodge VCCP.
The Crow Chapter was a close second to the Koshare Chapter for Service Chapter of the Year with approx. 6150 service hours or 53 hours per arrowman. Congratulations to Koshare with 56 hours per arrowman! Thank you to our Vice Chief of Service Alex C. (of Troop 93) and his Adviser Mr. Steve Wolf for their tireless efforts and also the Lodge Vice Chief of Service Justin W. and his Adviser Mr. Ed Cadena for all their support.
Some individual awards were presented:
Stewart and Justin C. and Daniel R. were awarded Indian Dancer Awards from the Lodge Vice Chief Indian Affairs Dustin M.
Stewart, Justin, Jim C. were awarded Indian Drummer Awards from the Lodge Vice Chief Indian Affairs Dustin M.
Nineteen Crow members were awarded the Camping Promotion Individual Award including Tanner & Greg B., Alex and Ed C., Andrew, Benjamin and Jeff C., Mark G., P., Steve and Adam H., Sean M., Eric N., Steve P., Ron P., Daniel R., RJ and Ron V. and Jeffrey W.
Daniel R. was awarded the John LaBare Camping Award by the Lodge Vice Chief of Camping Promotions. This award is presented to the youth arrowman who over the year has helped promote camping above all other arrowmen in the entire lodge (approx. 1500 individuals).
Mr. Ed Cadena was awarded the Lodge Silver Arrow Award - Adult Arrowman of the Year (Witatschimolsin). The purpose of the Silver Arrow award is to honor the most outstanding arrowman during the year. The adult award is determined by a vote of the youth on the lodge executive committee. Mr. Cadena joined an elite group of 35 youth and 35 adults (one each chosen per year) that include: Mr. Ron Price '05, Mr. Bob Graves '99, Mr. Mike Stanton '95, Andrew Delaney '01, Justin Wolf '06 and Mr. Albertus Hoogeveen '83 who have previously won this award from the Crow Chapter .
Justin W. was awarded the Wiatava Lodge Founders Award. The award was created to honor and recognize those Arrowmen who have given outstanding service to the lodge and is reserved for an arrowman who demonstrates to fellow arrowmen that he memorializes in his everyday life the spirit of achievement as described by founder E. Urner Goodman and cofounder Carroll A. Edson. Wiatava Lodge uses the Founder's award to recognize those arrowmen (youth and adult) who have given the lodge exemplary service, personal effort, unselfish interest, and have made contributions beyond immediate responsibilities of their position or office in the lodge over a prolonged period of time. Previous Crow who have won this award include; Mr. Ron Price '06, Josh Insalaco '04, Andrew Delaney & Mr. Bob Graves '01, Mr. Mike Stanton and Jeremy Baugh '97 and Mr. Albertus Hoogeveen '87.
Good luck to the 2008 Crow Chapter Chief Chuckie C., his Adviser Mr. Don Roberts, and the entire 2008 Crow Chapter Board.
Congratulations and thank you to everyone.
Yours in Brotherhood,
--Mr. Mark Guttenplan 2006-2007 Crow Chapter Adviser 2008 Associate Adviser
2007 CROW CHAPTER CAP REVIEW ITEMS:CEREMONIES & DANCE
ELECTIONS & CAMP PROMOTIONS
- First chapter to complete 100% elections and Camp Promotion visitations to district units. [completed by properly trained & uniformed youth].
- "Keeping the Promise Campout Award" a combined Crow/Koshare proposed design, approved by Lodge and Council. Will continue to pursue to completion in 2008.
- Most months Crow was the only Chapter attending each Lodge Camp Promo LEC Pre-Meeting
- Updated the "Where to Go Camping Guide for 2008" and provided to Lodge VCCP Andy D. to distribute to the chapters VCCP. 9/19/07
- Crow placed First in both Camping Promotions and Ceremonies competitions at the 2007 Wiatava Fall Pow Wow.
- Crow provided all 3 ceremony teams at Conclave (properly trained and certified Pre-Ordeal, Ordeal, Brotherhood) representing Wiatava Lodge all took 1st place.
- The Crow Brotherhood Team, invited by Section Chief (Brandon G.) & Section VC to perform the Conclave BH Ceremony.
- Crow had over 20% (or 1/5th) of the Wiatava Lodge signups for Conclave (21 of 101); more than any other Wiatava Chapter.
- Crow performed the BH ceremony for the Ahwahnee Chapter Ordeal @RLF 6/9/07. A thankful Ahwahnee Chapter invited Crow volunteers to enjoy their feast.
- Crow performed the Fall Ordeal BH ceremony (with the assistance of a Modoc youth). Crow provided a fire pit for the ceremony.
- Three Crow ceremony teams practice every other week.
- Crow sound system requested and used by Wiatava VCIA Dustin M. during IA weekend and IA dancing at Conclave.
- Crow sponsored a Sat. evening Indian dance Pow Wow at Fullerton Relay For Life (Am Cancer Soc) for all in attendance. Thank you to Dustin M. for helping! - Sat. 6/23/07.
- Crow dancers were requested and performed at approx. a dozen Los Amigos District Cub Scout Arrow Of Light Ceremonies, Blue & Gold Ceremonies and Pack Meetings during the year.
- Den Chief 1/2 day Training offered to Council - Sat. 2/20/07. 13 youth registered from 6 different districts.
- Crow provided service to La Habra Memory Gardens Memorial Park for Memorial Day. Sat. 5/26 placed flags & crosses. Mon. 5/28 formal ceremony; escorted or held flags of departed veterans.
- Crow performed the formal opening flag ceremony for Fullerton RelayForLife. Helped to setup camp for all RFL non-scout participants. Ran a movie night for RFL. Donated the use of their sound system. - Fri. 6/22 - Sun. 6/24.
- Crow provided the campfire leadership, fire pit for the campfire, sound system, snacks booth and skit judging at both the Los Amigos District Webelos Camporall and annual Los Amigos District Camporee.
- Crow ran the Scouting For Food collection for the Los Amigos District including attending and advertising at both cub and boy scout roundtables, district committee meetings and providing numerous flyers during the year. Crow scheduled troops to collect food at local supermarkets and helped to coordinate the transportation of the food to the collection point.
- Crow provided 6 members to teach at the Learning For Life Nov. Leadership Workshop.
- Provided Crow Support to:
1.) Lodge Banquet 1/06,
2.) Shadetree Service 2/3,
3.) Den Chief Training 2/17,
4.) Trade-O-Ree 2/23,
5.) IA Weekend 3/9,
6.) NLATS/NLS 3/9,
7.) Seedling Planting 4/14,
8.) Camporee 4/27,
9.) Conclave 5/4,
10.) Ordeal 5/11,
11.) Scout-O-Rama 5/19,
12.) Gardening Class 5/26,
13.) Memory Gardens Service 5/26 & 5/28,
14.) ACS Relay for Life 6/22-6/24,
15.) La Habra Corn Festival 8/1-8/5,
16.) Pow Wow 9/7,
17.) Lutheran Camporee 9/28,
18.) Webelos Camporall 10/5,
19.) Helped to move trees to the OEC 10/20, 20.) Scouting Leadership Conference (16 of the 52 Wiatava volunteers = 30%) 11/3.
- Crow Chapter provided 6150 service hours in 2007 for 35 events - the most total chapter hours in the Wiatava Lodge. = 53 hours per Arrowman.
- Crow 100% attendance at both LLD (11/11/06) and LOTD (12/2/06) (attendance sign sheets in CAP binder).
- Crow turned in all required paperwork at each LEC - NEVER LATE (Chapter Affiliation, Plan Book, Chapter Monthly Rpts, IA Rpts & Roster, CP Reports, Pre-Ordeal Report, Ordeal Report, Service reports. End of Year Report).
- Crow Ordeal: had 31Y & 5A become Ordeal members (inc. 1A from Modoc ). Had 9Y & 4A Brotherhood Conversion (inc. 1Y from Modoc ). Crow has approx 50% Brotherhood Conversion.
- Crow Ordeal paperwork turned in by the June LEC (less than 1 month).
- Fun Stuff: Crow (9Y/8A/6F=23) went bowling with Modoc on Fri. 3/23,
Miniature Golf with Modoc (8Y/4A/1F) Fri. 7/13.
3rd Annual LAN party sleepover Fri. 8/24.
Laser Tag width Modoc Fri. 9/21.
- Crow 3Adults to Mar 9 NLATS in Rancho Allegre Santa Barbara and 1A/1Y to NLS. Crow had 5 of the 10 Wiatava attendees.
- $100 Applebees donation from Crow Chapter for Lodge banquet.
- Crow had 27 Wischixin and 44 Leadership In Service (20 1st yr, 11 2nd yr, 13 3rd yr) award recipients.
For additional information about the Lodge and Chapter please visit: